School Year Begins at Dario Christian Academy
Thanks to all of you, 350 students are enrolled and the 2014 school year is under way at Dario Christian Academy. Now please be praying that all of these precious students will come to a personal and saving relationship with Jesus Christ!
Our theme verse at DCA this year comes from Hebrews 12:1-2: Let us run with patience the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith.
Here are a few notes and facts regarding the new school year which have been compiled primarily from messages sent by DCA's Director, Narlly Mendez:
- As has been typical for the last few years, we have parents pleading with us for a spot at DCA and, despite finding a way to increase enrollment nearly 20% to 350 students, we still have had to turn many down.
- Compassion in Action is working keenly to keep costs down even as we strive to increase the excellence and reach of this ministry. Our total operational expenses for the school now project to approximately $12,000 per month, or about $34 per month per student.
- We did increase tuition this year to $4 per month for elementary school and $6 per month for High School. Tuition is important as it helps reinforce to our parents that: 1) They are in partnership with all of you who support this ministry 2) The opportunity to attend DCA is truly a blessing from our Lord which, in turn, requires commitment and hard work in accordance with our biblical worldview.
- We do find ways to help families who struggle to meet this obligation and now there is even a small committee, formed by parents of our students, who are writing letters to friends and business owners to give scholarships to families in need of them. So far we have at least 15 of those scholarships, which is very exciting because the initiative and much support is coming from these parents who believe in DCA and want to help and minister to others.
- For 2014 our staff is 37 employees including Julio and Narlly. This includes a music teacher, Bible teacher, computer teacher, art and special needs teacher, and of course our awesome kitchen, custodial, and security staff members. We are a significant employer in Dario, a major blessing for this community surrounding the school which lives in substantial poverty. (According to the United Nations Development Programme, 80% of the population in Nicaragua lives on less than $2 per day).
- We have started the computer classes this year which are made possible by the special gift from the Ric Martinez memorial fund. We are excited to have this going. We are still needing a few more work stations to make it function well so when anyone plans on visiting Dario it would be great to have them bring an additional computer tower and a projector that will be fixed to the ceiling of the lab.
Indeed we believe that every boy and girl will run a great race and overcome great obstacles as they receive their strength from Jesus who perfects their faith!!
We thank you so much for your faithful support of Compassion in Action. Know that your support is enabling many young lives to hear and respond to the life-changing truths of a relationship with Jesus Christ. May God bless each of you, these students, their families, their community, and their nation, for generations to come. Amen!